Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mom Bread

This recipe was dreamed up during my postpartum recovery, after my daughter Alchemy was born. I received a loaf of banana bread from one of my dear friends and I loved how easy it was to grab a nourishing bite of this delicious bread. As the loaf disappeared, I started thinking about making a bread myself and what I would want in it. I wanted it to have different fruits and vegetables, whole grain for plenty of fiber, nuts for the healthy fat and some protein and to be fairly low in sugar. It should be as nutritious as a meal, I thought to myself. Well, I never got around to making it in those early postpartum weeks but months later when a friend gave birth I knew what I had to do. It was time to make mom bread! I have since made this bread for all of the new mom’s in my life. And in turn, it has become a bread that I make for the holidays and for other life changing events. Weddings, funerals, housewarming, just to name a few. Life Transition Bread should be the name of it, but Mom Bread has stuck. At first, it was actually named, Jen’s Super Momma Power Bread. That title was a bit cumbersome and quickly got shortened to Mom Bread. I like it! The recipe changes with every batch. It changes with the seasons, it changes as I experiment with ways to make it healthier it changes with the tastes of the new mother in mind and it changes because I don’t think I’ve ever been able to leave a recipe alone for long. So, feel free use it, change it, eat it and help me keep those new mommas nourished with some home baked lovin! That really is my wish, for more people to start taking time to support our new moms with home cooked meals, help around the house, love and understanding.

Ingredients:

2 cups All-purpose flower

1  cup wheat bran

1 cup dark brown sugar

1/4  tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. clove

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. cardomon

3 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. vegetable oil

2  1/2 cups fruit and vegetables (shredded, finely chopped or pureed) – I have used zucchini, carrot, apple, pineapple, pumpkin and banana. I usually pick 3 or 4 per batch.

1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (can find at health food store)

1 cup chopped nuts & or seeds (walnuts, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are my favorites)

Sometimes I add bee pollen (1 tbl.) and spirulina (1 tsp.)  for a little nutritional boost. And, sometimes I add dried fruit like raisins, cranberries and cherries are good, about a handful. Oh, and don’t forget to add love and well wishes for the new momma! I literally think about the person I am making the bread for while I am baking it and I put all the love I can into it!

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325.

In a large bowl combine flower, wheat bran, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.

In a small bowl whisk eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.

Stir in veggies, fruit, nuts, coconut and any ingredients that you have added.

Pour batter into two well greased 9×5 inch loaf pans. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through so that a toothpick comes out clean. You can also use smaller loaf pans and make muffins too but bake time will need to be adjusted accordingly.

Leave out to cool completely but after it is cooled, it is best to store this bread in the refrigerator to keep from spoiling. Enjoy and share the love!

I’d love to hear about your recipe variations and any stories around the joy of sharing this recipe and the traditions that it may create within your circle.  Love and blessings to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment